How can Uninstall Dropbox from Mac OS X by Effective Methods
When you install an application on your Mac, it is not possible that you will keep using it until the Mac getting retired, so it is very common for a Dropbox user to decide to remove the program on their PCs, but the problem is how could people uninstall Dropbox on their Mac computers? I think many people are not so clear about it, so it may be necessary to learn more knowledge and skills about the app removal.Download App Uninstaller Now
Information you may not know about Dropbox
Dropbox is a Mac utility that contributes some features to the computer, and allow its users to take good care of and manage the system effectively, access to more perform functions more easily. However, like many other utilities available on Mac, it does not always present a good performance on the computer. Because of the complicated system environment, some of these apps like Dropbox cannot work effectively and fulfill all of users' requirements, more seriously, it will cause some errors and running problems when there is a conflict issue between the program and your Mac OS X/other installed apps.
Generally, people would like to remove Dropbox for many different reasons: you might not longer need to use it, you need to remove it for upgrading to the newer version, the program itself may not perform stably on the Mac, or you want to unload some applications to free up some hard disk space ... Although there are usually different needs for people uninstalling Dropbox, they all have one common goal: remove the program thoroughly and effectively on the computer, but there is not every one can be lucky enough to uninstall Dropbox with ease.
What cause you unable to remove it?
Different from the Windows operating system which attaches a program removing utility inside, people cannot find a similar utility or application on Mac OS X, so they have no idea about the Dropbox program removal. Even though some other people realize that dragging the specific app icon from /Applications/ folder to the Trash is the resolution, some might not believe that this application can be totally removed with such a simple step, and according to many people's experiences, some problems just happen when they try to uninstall Dropbox in this way. So, what are the reasons for these problems? These most common causes of the unsuccessful removal may be useful for you:
- Dropbox's related files leave on your Mac and cause an incomplete removal
- The uninstallation is incorrect (delete the wrong file) and trigger some problems on the Mac
- The app is not stopped running before uninstall it
- You even can't find a way to remove it
Please pay attention to these problems and don't make the same fault when you decide to uninstall Dropbox, if you want to achieve a successful and complete removal of this application, a correct and effective uninstallation will be very necessary and important, and let's see how can remove this Mac utility for good.
How to uninstall Dropbox correctly from your Mac
Note: the 1-3 removing ways may be very common and universal for many Mac users, but you should bare in mind that the most common ways many people taking are usually failed to help you clean the application completely, besides uninstall the program package, you should go to the associated folders and delete its remnant files additionally, otherwise, the incomplete removing problems we mentioned above will come out on your computer.
1. Uninstall with its attached uninstall feature
Many antivirus applications attach a removing feature inside the product and available for uninstalling itself on Mac, and people usually can find it on the program's interface. So, please try to click on the help or support menu on the application and see whether there is an uninstall feature, and you can choose to uninstall Dropbox if there is such a feature.
- Launch Dropbox on your Mac, find out the uninstall or help feature available on the on the Menu bar
- Click to activate the program's removing process, and complete the program removal with instructions
Find and clean its leftovers
Except the program can be removed from the computer in the first stage of removal, there are still many associated files cannot be removed and locate on the associated folder on the Mac. So, you should find out all of them and clean well. Generally, the Dropbox leftovers are located in the Library folder, so please click on Go - Go to folder...- enter "~/Library/" in the box to open it, and then start to check the content inside and clean its associated components.
- Applications Supports: click on Applications Support folder on the Library, find out the folder with Dropbox's name, and move it to the Trash
- Caches: click on Caches folder, click the file which contains the name of Dropbox
- Preferences: continue to stay on Library, open Preferences folder; delete Dropbox's preferences inside
- Empty Trash: right-click on Trash on the DOCK, and select "Empty Trash"
2. Remove with the uninstaller created by the same publisher
Besides producing the professional utilities and applications, many publisher will also publish an uninstall tool which claims to help people uninstall their owned applications effectively. If you also find there is an uninstall tool which belongs to the same developer with Dropbox, you also can choose to uninstall Dropbox via this remover.
- Download and install the specific uninstaller on your Mac
- Click to launch the application, and click on the scan button to detect all of related program with the same publisher on the computer
- Select Dropbox on the list, and click on the Remove/Uninstall button
- Finish the program removal with instructions
After performing the removal in the uninstaller, an additional removal for its leftovers on the computer is also needed, and you should check all of related folders and delete its files one by one as the first method (check the leftovers removal above)
3. Uninstall Dropbox with traditional Mac removal
Mac OS X has its own removing feature, and people can delete or remove the file/application via moving to the Trash, and empty it. When uninstall Dropbox in this way, you can refer to the following instructions:
- Click on Finder on the Dock, select Applications on the left pane, and you will go to the installed Applications folder
- Select the icon of Dropbox, and drag it to the Trash
- Right-click on the Trash, and click Empty Trash
Removing Dropbox under Mac OS X in this way is very a straightforward and fast procedure, however, many people may not notice that it is also unable to help you totally clean the program out of your computer. The same to the previous two methods, those support files and caches which are stored separately from the application package will need to be deleted manually and additionally. Sounds like very annoyed and troublesome, right? Applying an uninstall tool can avoid these problems and simplify the removing steps significantly.
4. Uninstall Dropbox with pro Mac uninstaller
In addition to the above removing methods, there is another way that become more popular and effective to uninstall Dropbox as well as other installed applications on the same computer, which is taking a professional uninstall tool, it can perform more skillfully and quickly to remove the unwanted program on Mac.
There are now many removal tools available online and support the user to uninstall Mac OS X based application, MacKeeper will be a good recommendation that help you to uninstall unwanted programs as well as resolve many other issues on the Mac, the 100% removal can be guaranteed and you don't need to worry about many potential removing problems.
Check how to uninstall Dropbox with MacKeeper:
- Check how to uninstall Dropbox with MacKeeper:
- Expand the ADVANCED TOOLS on the menu, and select Smart Uninstaller on the list
- Click on the Start Scan button to check all applications installed on your Mac
- Locate Dropbox, and click on the checkbox on the left side
- Click on Remove button, and complete the removal with instructions
- Please enter your Mac account's password if it is required for confirmation
- Exit MacKeeper, and restart your Mac
Besides removing unwanted program effectively on the computer, many other problems caused by the unsuccessful Dropbox removal also can be fixed well via the various features available on MacKeeper, like:
- Removing widgets, preferences, plugins installed on the Mac
- Files recovery support to recover the file or App you removed by mistake
- Fast cleanup your Mac's junk files
- Backup an item for precaution before you go to modify and remove it
Before reading this post, many people may not have such a deep understanding about Dropbox and the right way to remove it on the Mac, because many of them might think that all of one application's files would be stored in the installation folder, and dragging the app's icon to the Trash is cleaning all of its files, but the fact is that there is still a great number of the program's files created and stored in other folders and locations, and you should find out all of them and clean thoroughly if you take the manual steps to uninstall Dropbox completely on your Mac.
While utilizing the uninstaller to manage the Dropbox removal, it can replace the user to find out all of these files, and then will be clean out of the Mac when you conduct the program removal with the utility. Besides Dropbox, many Mac utilities like system utilities, maintenance & optimization, printer software are also very difficult to be removed completely on the Mac OS X, so that you will not only learn an effective way to uninstall Dropbox from this post, but also working for handling other utility removal in the future.Download App Uninstaller Now